Incoming First Grade Summer Reading 2016
Incoming First Grade students are required to read 15 books. They do not have to read the books on their own—parents, older siblings, etc. can read to them! The following is a list of suggestions—there are no required titles for summer reading. Please remember that if you want to open a parent library card at Gilman, we are happy to do that!
Reading on Our Own
(many of the authors listed here have multiple books that would be appropriate!)
- Adler, David A. Get a Hit, Mo!
- Archer, Dosh. Urgency Emergency! series.
- Arnold, Tedd. Fly Guy series.
- Bell, Cece. Rabbit and Robot: the Sleepover.
- Bunting, Eve. Frog and Friends series.
- Egan, Tim. Dogsworth series.
- Gantos, Jack. Rotten Ralph series.
- Joyner, Andrew. Boris series.
- Kline, Suzy. Horrible Harry.
- Rylant, Cynthia. Henry and Mudge, and Mr. Putter and Tabby series.
- Sharmat, Marjorie. Nate the Great series.
- Applegate, Katherine. Ivan: the Remarkable True Story of the Shopping Mall Gorilla.
- Brown, Peter. Children Make Terrible Pets.
- de la Peña, Matt. Last Stop on Market Street.
- Jenkins, Emily. Tiger and Badger.
- Karas, Brian G. On the Farm, At the Market.
- Luyken, Carla. The Book of Mistakes.
- Pinkney, Jerry. Three Billy Goats Gruff.
- Pizzoli, Greg. Good Night Owl.
- Robinson, Michelle. A Beginner’s Guide to Bear Spotting.
- Santat, Dan. Are We There Yet?
- Arnosky, Jim. Frozen Wild.
- Flemming, Candace. Giant Squid.
- Llewellyn, Claire. My First Book of Time.
- Ford, Gilbert. The Marvelous Thing that Came from a Spring: The Accident Invention of the Toy that Swept the Nation.
Let’s Read Together/Books to Listen To:
- Birdsall, Jeanne. The Penderwicks.
- Cleary, Beverly. Henry Huggins.
- Butterworth, Oliver. The Enormous Egg.
- DiCamillo, Kate. Leroy Ninker Saddles Up.
- Hale, Shannon. The Princess in Black
Looking for More Ideas?
Try these series:
- Ramona by Beverly Cleary
- Tashi by Anna Fienberg
- A-Z Mysteries by Ron Roy
- Ready, Freddy! By Abby Klein