Incoming Prep-1 Summer Reading 2017
Incoming Prep-1 Grade students are required to read 15 books. They do not have to read the books on their own—parents, older siblings, etc. can read to them! The following is a list of suggestions—there are no required titles for summer reading. Please remember that if you want to open a parent library card at Gilman, we are happy to do that!
Reading on Our Own
(many of the authors listed here have multiple books that would be appropriate!)
- Adler, David A. Don’t Throw it to Mo! series.
- Archer, Dosh. Urgency Emergency! series.
- Bang-Campbell, Monika. Little Rat series.
- Dean, James. Pete the Cat series.
- Hoena, Blake. Monster Heroes: The Ghost Trap.
- Joyner, Andrew. Boris series.
- Rylant, Cynthia. Henry and Mudge, and Mr. Putter and Tabby series.
- Sharmat, Marjorie. Nate the Great series.
- Willems, Mo. Elephant and Piggie series.
- Andrews, Troy. Trombone Shorty.
- Atkinson, Cale. Explorers of the Wild.
- Carle, Eric. The Mixed-up Chameleon.
- Luyken, Carla. The Book of Mistakes.
- Kang, Anna. You Are (Not) Small.
- Kraegel, Kenneth. Green Pants.
- Nevuis, Carol. Building with Dad.
- Pinkney, Jerry. Three Billy Goats Gruff.
- Pizzoli, Greg. Good Night Owl.
- Santat, Dan. Are We There Yet?
- Arnosky, Jim. Shimmer and Splash: The Sparkling World of Sea Life.
- Berne, Jennifer. Manfish: The Story of Jacques Cousteau.
- Flemming, Candace. Giant Squid.
- Pattison, Darcy. Burn: Michael Farraday’s Candle.
- Winter, Jeanette. The Watcher: Jane Goodall’s Life with the Chimps.
Let’s Read Together/Books to Listen To:
- Butterworth, Oliver. The Enormous Egg.
- Cronin, Doreen. The Chicken Squad: the First Misadventure.
- DiCamillo, Kate. Mercy Watson.
- Donaldson, Julia. The Gruffalo.
- Hale, Shannon. The Princess in Black.