Incoming Second Grade Summer Reading 2017
Incoming Second Grade students are required to read 10 books. They do not have to read all of the books on their own—parents, older siblings, etc. can read to them! There is one required title which everyone must read - the other nine books are free choice. Please read the required title in August - that way the story will be fresh in your mind for the start of second grade! Second grade students will discuss the book and even have a writing assignment based on their reading.
REQUIRED READING FOR ALL INCOMING SECOND GRADE STUDENTS:
Sam the Man & the Chicken Plan by Frances O’Roark Dowell. Sam the Man needs a job. So when his neighbor Mrs. Kerner, asks if Sam would like to watch her chickens, Sam jumps on the task! Watching chickens is more fun than he expects. But what does a seven-year-old do with all the money he’s earning?
The following is a list of suggestions for additional reading.
- Barber, Tiki. By My Brother’s Side.
- Benton, Jim. Franny K. Stein series.
- Blume, Judy. Friend or Fiend? with the Pain and the Great One.
- Chabert, Jack. Eerie Elementary series.
- Dahl, Roald. The Magic Finger.
- Gutman, Dan. My Weird School series.
- Henkes, Kevin. The Year of Billy Miller.
- Jamieson, Victoria. The Great Pet Escape.
- Kline, Suzy. Horrible Harry series.
- Larry, H.I. Zac Power series.
- McDonald, Megan. Stink and Judy Moody series.
- Sachar, Louis. Marvin Redpost series.
- Watson, Tom. Stick Dog.
- Winick, Judd. Hilo Book 1: the Boy Who Crashed to Earth.
- Friddell, Claudia. George Washington’s Spies.
- Hatkoff, Isabella. Leo the Snow Leopard.
- Jenkins, Steve. Actual Size.
- Tang, Greg. Math Appeal.
- Tate, Don. Whoosh!: Lonnie Johnson’s Super-soaking Stream of Inventions.
Let’s Read Together/Books to Listen To!
- DiCamillo, Kate. The Tale of Despereaux.
- Feiffer, Kate. The Problem with the Puddles.
- Juster, Norton. Phantom Tollbooth.
- White, E.B. Stuart Little.