Apply: Lower School
Grades Kindergarten through FiveThe main Lower School entry points are at kindergarten, prep-one, and first grades. Openings in grades two through five are limited, but applications are welcome since unexpected openings may occur.
The following information is designed to help you through the admissions process. Please use this as a guide, but always feel free to call if you have any questions.
Visit: Parents are invited to attend our Lower School Parent Visiting Days and/or visit during the school year. Please contact Danielle Moran to schedule a visit.
Application: Completing the online application form is the first step in the admissions process. Space is provided for any information you would like to share about your son. After you have completely filled out the application and submitted the form, assessment dates will be mailed to you. The $50 application fee is paid when you submit your online application. Application fee waivers are available for siblings of currently enrolled students and sons of alumni. Please contact Danielle Moran to obtain your code.
Record Release Form: This form should be given directly to your son's current school. It authorizes his current school to send us his records, which are necessary to complete the application process.
Common Referral Form: This is a form that should be given to your son's current school along with the Release Form. Your son's school will give this form to his teacher(s) to fill out and return to Gilman. Generally, this form will be returned with your son's records. This form is a necessary part of the process.
Confidentiality: Gilman retains an applicant's information in the strictest confidence, as defined in the Association of Independent Maryland and DC Schools (AIMS) Policy Statement on Confidentiality of Student Recommendations.
Assessment: Kindergarten, prep-one, and first grade applicants visit twice for a small group and an individual assessment. Placement in a specific grade is determined upon completion of the admissions process. Please contact Danielle Moran to schedule testing dates.
Applicants for grades two through five visit Gilman on Saturday, January 7, 2017. The boys are given standardized achievement and ability tests, are evaluated informally by teachers, and are asked to complete a writing sample. Qualified applicants who cannot be accepted initially due to the limited number of spaces will be placed in a wait pool.
Campus Tours: Call the Lower School Admissions Office if you would like to schedule a time to come to the campus, tour the grounds, and see the School in session.
Notification Date: The Admissions Committee will review all applications and make decisions during the month of February. You will learn our decision on February 17, 2017, and those accepted will have until March 3, 2017, to return the enrollment contract and deposit.
The Lower School Admissions Director is available after February 16, 2017, to review applicant evaluations with interested parents.
Families applying for Financial Aid must complete the SSS online application.
The following checklist may help to guide you through the application process and is intended for your use only.
- Filled out completely online and submitted.
- $50 application fee. This fee is paid when you submit your online application. The application must be submitted by December 16, 2016.
- Application fee waivers are available for siblings of currently enrolled students and sons of alumni. Please contact Danielle Moran to obtain your code.
- Contact Danielle Moran in the Admissions Office at or firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a time for your son's testing date.
RECORD RELEASE FORM GIVEN TO CURRENT SCHOOL.
COMMON REFERRAL FORM GIVEN TO CURRENT SCHOOL.
- Complete the School and Student Services (SSS) Parents' Financial Statement (PFS) online at SSS Online before December 16, 2016. You will be able to access this form on or about November 1, 2016, and a non-refundable fee of $48 is required. If you are unable to access this form online, please call the Financial Aid Office to receive a hard copy.
- Please upload or mail the following documents directly to SSS Online: 2015 Federal Tax Forms and 2016 W‐2 or substitute wage document (when received in January 2017). Visit SSS Online for more information.