We believe that boys who hail from other countries enrich the fabric of our community. Our boys learn firsthand the importance of cross-cultural relationships, global awareness and sensitivity through the presence of international students in our classrooms. We strive to teach all of our boys how to be responsible citizens in a complex and rapidly-changing global society.
Some Important Considerations
Who May Apply: The Upper School (grades 9-12) is the only division that accepts international students. We have a very small number of spaces for international students and admission is competitive.
Language Requirements: Fluency in English is required, and Gilman School does not offer instruction in English as a foreign language. Applicants and their families should understand that all classes are taught in English. International students will be held to the same standards of language and assessed against the same scale as native speakers. If an international applicant has not attended a school where English is the primary language of instruction, and he is a non-native English speaker, he will need to post a strong score on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) in order to demonstrate his fluency in English. All applicants will need to take one of the following standardized tests: SSAT, SAT, ISEE.
Day School: Gilman School is a day school, not a boarding school. Families must secure housing for their sons.
ApplicationThe following are parts of the complete application:
- Application for Admission
- International Student Addendum
- Parents Statement
- Application fee of $100 USD. Only bank checks or credit cards will be accepted.
All candidates will sit for a Skype or in-person interview. Gilman's Skype address will be provided when the interview time is scheduled.
All candidates must provide the following information:
- A Record Release Form (Grades 6-12) completed by the current principal or guidance counselor.
- An official transcript that includes records of the previous two academic years, the current year's academic record and the most recent grade report.
Two (2) Common Referral Forms (recommendations) are required:
- One Common Referral Form (recommendation) must be from the applicant's current English teacher.
- A Common Referral Form (recommendation) from a teacher chosen by the student.
- All applicants must take the TOEFL.
- All applicants must take at least one of the following standardized examinations: Independent School Entrance Examination (ISEE), SSAT or SAT.
Gilman codes for each test:
ISEE Code: 210095
SAT Code: 210095
SSAT Code: 3412
At this time, we are accepting inquiries only from students entering grades 9-12.
For more information about applying to Gilman as an international student email:
You may also phone us: