History and Archives
Gilman School is the result of the imagination of a mother, Anne Galbraith Carey, whose vision to educate boys in mind, body, and spirit, led to the 1897 opening of the Country School for Boys at the Homewood House, now part of Johns Hopkins University campus. Thirty-two boys enrolled, and thus began the country day school movement, a formula modeled by countless schools across America. Over the next century and beyond, Gilman would grow its alumni roster to more than 5,000.
It has been a remarkable 125 years for the Gilman community. Thanks to generations of countless individuals, our School has achieved so much and has touched so many lives. In many ways, our work is just beginning. We still have room to make progress and raise the bar for our future. We persist with honoring our mission by educating boys in mind, body, and spirit, and in modeling the Gilman Five: Honor, Integrity, Respect, Humility, and Excellence, for our boys as we embrace opportunities to grow and to learn. One hundred and twenty-five years later, Gilman’s journey continues.
The Gilman School Archives documents the history of the school from its founding in 1897 to the present. The collection includes photographs, documents, publications, multimedia, and various types of memorabilia.
Material requests from the Archives Office are available by appointment only. For inquiries about the collection or to donate material, please contact our Archivist.