THE GILMAN EXPERIENCE
Driven by Excellence. Inspired by Mission. Motivated by Purpose.
Affirm Gilman as the leading pre-kindergarten through twelfth-grade school for boys in the Baltimore area and as a national model in boys education, known for developing well-rounded men of character who pursue lives of purpose.
CHARACTER AND WELLNESS
GOAL: Align the teaching and development of Gilman Skills, Character, and Wellness by:
- Incorporating the core learning objectives — think, communicate, collaborate, and create — throughout the pre-kindergarten through twelfth-grade continuum to strengthen the coherence of the experience.
Ensuring the most effective use of the schedule and calendar to facilitate Gilman Skills development.
- Promoting students’ physical and mental health and the cultivation of the spirit by building every boy’s power to:
- Apply his developed talents and skills toward self-awareness;
- Form healthy relationships with diverse people;
- Connect with and serve his local and global communities.
A TALENTED, INCLUSIVE COMMUNITY
- Enrolling a diverse mosaic of the most gifted and motivated boys from all corners of the Baltimore metropolitan area by enhancing our applicant pool and allocating tuition assistance strategically.
- Fostering a teaching and learning environment in which each boy is known, loved, and challenged to be his best self.
- Hiring and supporting a most talented faculty, staff, and administration that reflect the diversity of the student body and that embody professional excellence, as articulated in our Definition of Excellent Teaching (DET).
- Positioning our compensation and benefits package as the best among Baltimore independent schools.
- Enlisting parents in our shared work.
- Connecting our global alumni meaningfully to each other and back to the School.
- Activating key financial levers — enrollment, tuition, tuition assistance, expenses, and fundraising — to secure the School’s long-term financial health.
- Establishing a Lower School Early Childhood Program,* including the launch of a pre-kindergarten, to enhance the students’ experience and strengthen enrollment in our primary years.
- Creating a campus master plan in order to maximize the use of our buildings and grounds.
- Developing environmental programs related to campus operations and practices, community engagement, and curriculum.
- Affirming our tri-school relationship as a unique value proposition and continuing to build upon its strengths.
*Pre-kindergarten through first grade
- A School positioned for greater flexibility, resulting in better choices and outcomes now and for future generations
- The best program, people, and resources aligned to deliver a broad and exceptional experience
- Diverse mosaic of talented students
- Students equipped with the skills, knowledge, and character needed for success
- Inclusive and equitable community
- Outstanding faculty and staff
- Aspirational college and career choices
- Engaged alumni
- Fulfilling and purposeful lives
- Boys that are known, loved, and challenged to be their best selves