1:1 IPAD OF CHOICE
The Middle School iPad initiative provides students with a dynamic and robust tool for personal and academic pursuits. Because the iPad is such a critical component in the teaching and learning paradigm, we offer students the opportunity to select the iPad model that best suits their needs and learning preferences. The resources below outline the program in great detail.
Middle School students are required to provide their own iPad.
We strongly recommend an iPad with:
- the latest version of iOS (version 13 as of July 1, 2020)
- a screen size of 9.7-10.2 inches (regular size, not iPad Mini, Air, or Pro)
- 32GB minimum internal memory, although 128GB is welcome as well.
- Wi-Fi-only configuration (iPads with cellular service are not allowed)
As of July 1, the starting price for iPad is $329. Visit the Apple web site to learn more about iPad specifications.
Some important points:
- Please note: The price referenced above does not include accessories, including:
- Headphones with a built-in mic (noise-cancelling, if possible)
- Protective Case or Folio (Required)
- Keyboard (Required) (Attachable, standalone or built into the case or folio)*
- Stylus (Required)
- Screen Protector (Optional)
- Although you may elect to purchase an iPad Pro, we do not recommend that you do so based on multiple considerations, including weight, cost, portability, and size of device footprint on student desks.
- We strongly recommend purchasing AppleCare+ (and optionally, insurance to cover loss or theft), to cover screen damage and operational failure.
*If you are considering a separate wired keyboard, you may want to look at a low-cost option from Hitek, along with a protective sleeve to store both the iPad and keyboard.
ABOUT THE 1:1 IPAD OF CHOICE
The Middle School Technology Canvas page provides parenting resources as well as helpful tips in guiding your son's responsible use of the iPad.
Click the questions below to learn more about how our program operates.
- How will an iPad be provided for each student?
- Who will pay for Apps and eBooks?
- I already own an iPad; can I use it?
- What costs will there be for the students and their families?
- Where can I keep my iPad during assembly, recess, and lunch?
- How will the iPads be identified?
- Can the students mark or decorate their iPad or case?
- Can students print from an iPad?
- Will students be allowed to let a friend use their iPad?
- Does a student need to have an Apple ID account?
- How does a student load a school-supplied app onto the iPad?
- How can the iPad and lost apps be restored?
- What happens if there are technical problems with the iPad?
- What happens if the iPad is lost, broken, or stolen (including cracked or shattered screens)?
- How will my son keep his device charged during the school day?
- Will I receive tuition assistance that can be applied to the purchase of a device?
- Whom do I contact if I need more information?