Education and Technology
Technology is a dynamic tool which offers opportunities to students and faculty. Gilman School embraces technology with enthusiasm, always bearing in mind that the human interaction between student and teacher is the single most important component of education and must never be compromised.
Gilman's educational mission dictates the direction and philosophy of technology, which continues to be increasingly important to the pursuit of academic excellence both as a tool and an enhancement. As we continue to explore technology and its benefits, we must continually develop, refine and evaluate our technology plans and programs to ensure that they are in keeping with the mission of the school and foster dynamic, independent, and personalized learning across the curriculum.
- Students and teachers must have ready access to computers. Network resources must be readily accessible to our students and faculty from off campus as well as at school. Classrooms must be conducive to teaching with technology.
- Gilman expects all teachers to be technologically literate. Teachers should model effective and responsible use of technology. Teachers are expected to use administrative software and to apply best practices and educationally sound approaches in integrating technology into the curriculum.
- A Gilman graduate will demonstrate facility in using computer technology.
- The School must provide comprehensive and relevant training for all faculty and staff. Professional development should be available on a regular basis.
- An integrated network infrastructure should be sought to efficiently handle administrative tasks and minimize duplicated efforts.
- A strong and competent technology support staff must be in place to support the School's technology mission.
- A Gilman School website must be fully developed to provide instructional, communication, and public relations services to the Gilman community.
- The ethical use of technology must be modeled and taught as an essential part of the School's mission.