Device of Choice (D.O.C.) Program
Gilman's Device of Choice (D.O.C.) program intends to help create dynamic and independent learners within the Gilman classroom by requiring all Upper School students to bring a device of choice. We believe that by requiring a device of choice, our students and faculty will better utilize the skills necessary to learn in the 21st century environment. Students bring devices to class so they can use them for research, collaborative work, organization, and general classroom learning. The D.O.C. program ensures that all students will have the technology tools each student is most comfortable with to maximize the learning experience. We believe that the D.O.C. program helps individualize the learning process, allowing the individual boy to reach his potential.
Upper School students are required to bring a laptop or tablet to school every day. His choice of device should be based on what he feels best suits the needs for his classes. Loaners will be available should a personal device need repair or service. We are excited about the potential that this program provides to the Upper School curriculum and look forward to watching our boys and their teachers flourish as learners and instructors.
- Why did Gilman’s Upper School move to Device of Choice (D.O.C.)?
- What kind of skills can I expect my student to use in a classroom utilizing his device?
- Will Gilman teach students the importance of responsible, productive, and safe Internet use?
- How can my student connect to the Gilman’s Wi-Fi network?
- What are some of the devices you would recommend?
- If I need advice or assistance in buying a device where can I go?
- Are tablets a viable option for use in the classroom?
- What are the minimum requirements for devices?
- What software does Gilman require our students to have?
- What happens if my son's device is lost or stolen?
- Will Gilman have loaner devices available?
- How will my son keep his device charged during the school day?
- Will students be able to print from their personal devices?
- Will I receive tuition assistance that can be applied to the purchase of a device?
Safeware specializes in insurance for all types of electronic devices.