Upper and Middle School students (ages 14+) are encouraged to apply to volunteer at PALS Programs Baltimore, a non-profit organization that provides inclusive camp experiences for people with Down Syndrome and their Peers on college campuses across the United States.
At Gilman, boys of all ages participate in service learning activities. In the Lower School, the seeds for service learning are planted, and boys learn to recognize the helpers in the community and themselves. Beginning in Middle School, Gilman requires that students complete 20 hours of service learning during their three years in that division. In the Upper School, students must complete a minimum of 50 consecutive hours of consistent involvement in one service learning project outside of Gilman as a requirement for graduation.
The opportunities for service learning at Gilman are diverse and include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Collecting non-perishable food items for the Donald Bentley Food Pantry and toys and clothing to benefit Metro Kidz and Our Daily Bread Employment Center.
- Helping harvest produce at First Fruits Farm for food banks throughout Maryland, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia.
- Making peanut butter sandwiches for distribution at Manna House.
- Reading books as part of the Lower School's annual Read-a-Thon to raise, on average, over $25,000 each year for various charitable organizations.
- Shooting baskets in the Middle School's annual Hoops for Habitat fundraiser.
- Helping organize and run the Upper School's annual American Red Cross Blood Drive on campus.
Service learning activities are not limited to current students, either! Each year, current parents and families and alumni organize special events with each other or with students in order to maximize their impact across generations.
Director of Service Learning
Above all else, Gilman School seeks to help boys grow into men of character. We believe that the qualities of honor, leadership, dedication, and service to others must be emphasized and reinforced through all aspects of the school community.
Gilman School Mission
CURRENT & UPCOMING VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
Upper School students are encouraged to apply to volunteer at Camp St. Vincent, the only outdoor camp in Maryland that serves children experiencing homelessness throughout Baltimore City and surrounding counties.
OBJECTIVES, REQUIREMENTS, AND OPPORTUNITIES BY DIVISION